How Much Does a Melbourne Medical Centre Fitout Cost in 2024?
In an era where healthcare practices continuously strive to create a remarkable patient experience, having a fully functional and aesthetically pleasing medical fitout is not an exception. It’s the standard.
Demand for patient-centric environments continues to grow, as more medical professionals seek to design unique, homely spaces fitted with the latest medical equipment to meet their patients’ needs. However, the path to achieving such a space is often paved with numerous challenges, particularly when it comes to costs and budgeting.
Whether you’re looking to revamp your existing practice or aspire to enter the world of healthcare, don’t let these hidden costs hold you back from completing your medical fitout. Below we break down every cost you should know about; empowering you to create a space that enhances the patient experience and also aligns with your budget.
Medical Centre Fitout Cost Per Square Meter
So how much do medical centre fitouts cost on average?
Between $1200 - 1800 per sqm (exclusive of medical equipment)
Of course, when laying out a range like this there are a variety of factors that could put a fitout on the higher or lower ends of this range. While medical centres largely have similar building requirements across Victoria, individual centres may have specialised equipment or room designs depending on the type of medicine practised on site.
And as trends move towards patient-centric environments some providers may lean into aesthetically pleasing fitouts, which could incur additional costs.
On the lower end of this range, your fitout may consist of more moderate finishes and fixtures – such as laminate surfaces - limited joinery as well as simple lighting and furniture. At the higher end of this range, you may expect more premium finishes and fixtures across materials, lighting, furniture and joinery.
Medical Centre-Specific Fitout Costs
Below are some of the more specific costs associated with medical fitouts.
- Permits & Approvals: If you seek to fitout a new space, you will need to obtain council approval. Knowing your space's current NCC classification will help you determine if additional changes need to be made to get the building up to standard (which could increase base fitout costs). For reference, most - but not all - medical practices fall under NCC building class 9a.
- Equipment Installation: Medical equipment must be installed and connected to services (plumbing, electrical, or gas) in a way that doesn’t create a hazard for patients and physicians. Additional work may be required for custom installations into floors or walls.
- Toilets: Assurance that you have the correct number of standard, DDA, and ambulant-compliant toilets installed. Cost is dependent on the number of toilets required. Additional bathrooms may also need to be installed to meet the building code.
- Sinks: For medical fitouts, at least one wash basin is required per consulting room (as per building code).
- Parking: To meet the needs of daily traffic in and out of your medical centre, at least 4 onsite car parks per physician must be created. There are workarounds to this rule if your facility is within the vicinity of ample public parking (e.g. a shopping centre).
We know what you’re thinking, that’s a lot of costs to take in! As mentioned before, the cost per meter can fluctuate depending on the size and type of medical practice. We want to give you a clear picture of what you should consider. And while some projects are significantly more complex than others, this is more of a rarity than the norm.
Common Medical Centre Fitout Issues (and How to Avoid Them)
Now you know what to be on the lookout for, but what about those things a builder might not tell you about? Let’s explore them below.
Material Lead Time
Lead time for certain materials can vary. While materials can be sourced locally, some items may need to be imported. At Canopy Fitouts we take a comprehensive approach to quoting and building your fitout. We forecast lead times wherever possible, and will suggest alternatives if you desire a speedier completion.
With any construction project, approval from regulatory bodies will be required. Rather than taking on council fees, permit plans, and the potential red tape involved, our team will assist you and ensure the process is seamless. Don’t let neglected paperwork hold up your fitout.
Asbestos is the most hidden issue on this list. While it may not be an issue for your fitout, we’ll never really know until we get started on the project. At Canopy, we’ll do all early leg work to catch signs of potential asbestos and will help you get a professional to decontaminate the premises quickly.
We recommend allocating at least 30% of your budget to cover hidden services like the ones above. We will be as upfront as possible in the early stages of your build to help you avoid these costs later on.
Speak With a Medical Centre Fitout Expert
At Canopy Fitouts we believe in transparency at every stage of the fitout process, which is why we have no qualms with sharing the latest data we have on medical fitouts. Of course, not every medical centre is the same, so it’s best to speak to an expert first for further clarification on what costs will pertain to your business. If you have any specific questions or are ready to get started on your fitout, speak with our knowledgeable team today.